A report recently released by Deloitte performs a nice literature review including industry white papers and surveys, congressional testimony, and related journals. Interesting results include:
- 71% of HHS-reported information breaches are from Health Care Providers.
- The impact of a data breach over a two-year period is approximately $2 million per organization and the lifetime value of a lost patient is $107,580.
- Approximately one third of data breaches result in medical identity theft.
- Nearly 85 percent of hospitals are NOT in compliance with the HITECH Act.
- 30 percent of BAs did not know HIPAA Security Requirements had been extended to their organizations.
For a more in depth review of HHS-reported breaches and how to prevent them, see our 2010 Protected Health Information Breach Analysis.